THE QUINTESSENTIAL SEASIDE PARADISE
Location | Dunsborough
How to get to Dunsborough
Our Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience would have to be one of our favourite tours of the year and we highly recommend making the journey to Dunsborough to experience this. Located on the shores of tranquil Geographe Bay at the northern end of the Ngari Capes Marine Park, Dunsborough is WA’s ultimate seaside holiday destination. Calm clear waters lap gently against beaches with some of the whitest sand in the world. From August – November, under increasingly sunny skies, Dunsborough’s scenic coastline provides a beautiful backdrop to the southern migration of not only the Humpback Whales but also the mighty & graceful Blue Whales.
This quintessential seaside town is a part of the popular Margaret River region and is approximately 250kms south of Perth, Western Australia. Dunsborough is easily accessible by car or bus and has all amenities required to ensure you have the perfect seaside getaway.
Some Fun Facts About Dunsborough
- Dunsborough is a part of the world-famous Margaret River Region, there are multiple award-winning restaurants and wineries all within a short drive of town. Why not sit back and enjoy a tour of the wine region with one of the many Wine Tour operators, guaranteed to be a great day!
- Dunsborough is a beach lovers paradise! There are so many beautiful bays to explore along the coastline including Bunkers Bay & Eagle Bay but one of our favourites would have to be Meelup Beach. It is only 6km away from the Dunsborough town centre, with white sands, crystal clear water and what’s even better is that during Spring there is a good chance you will spot whales from there, WINNING.
- Where in the world can you find one of the largest living animals, you ask? You guessed it, on a Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience! Each year during the annual Humpback Whale migration you will also have your opportunity to sight a BLUE Whale. Blues Whales are known to be the largest living animals in the world and can grow up to 31 metres long and can weigh up to 130 tonnes.
Whale Watching in Dunsborough
Each year Humpback Whales, Southern Right Whales & Blue Whales take the mighty journey north on their annual migration to the warmer waters to give birth to their young. They then return to the summer feeding grounds of Antarctica, accompanied by their calves that were born in the warm tropical waters of Australia’s north-west and beyond.
On their migration back south the Humpback and Blue whales travel close to shore and pause to rest and nurse their calves in the calm protected waters of Geographe Bay, Dunsborough. The views and interactions are so special here, that our Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience was voted as one of the best Whale Watching experiences in the country. This comes with no surprise as we are incredibly lucky to witness the major migration of more than 35,000 whales that move through Geographe Bay each year.
How Can I see the Whales in Dunsborough?
If you are wanting to see the Humpback Whales with their gorgeous new calves, or the mighty large Blue Whale which will leave you feeling in awe of their grace & beauty, then I highly recommend joining us, Naturaliste Charters, on a Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience which departs daily (August – November) from Quindalup. Each tour is approximately 2.5 hours long and departs daily at 10am and 2pm, plus our sunset Whale Watching cruise that is available on demand.
We offer informative, fun & educational tours on board our premium vessel “Alison Maree”. Our friendly experienced crew will ensure you have a wonderful time that will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime. Rest assured and feel confident that with the world’s largest whale migration happening on our West Australian coastline, YOU WILL SEE WHALES! On the very small chance you don’t see whales on our Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience, you can join us again for FREE!
Here is a list of handy tips to keep in mind before joining us on a Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience
- We highly recommend Pre-bookings. Not only does this secure your spot but also, in case of any weather alerts, this allows us to reach out to notify you of any unexpected changes to your chosen tour.
- Unfortunately, seasickness does not discriminate and can cause discomfort. We would highly recommend sea sickness tablets if you are unsure about how good your sea legs are. Seasickness tablets can be purchased over the counter at any chemist, without a prescription. Check with your pharmacist to find a brand that will suit your needs.
- Please arrive 20 minutes early for boarding. This allows enough time for all our visitors to board the vessel and for our crew to complete their safety briefings for a prompt departure. Don’t be late, the boat can’t wait!
- Here at Naturaliste Charters, we love to keep our waste at a minimum. Help us reduce our waste by bringing a reusable drink bottle or keep cup if you have one. We provide filtered water and provide tea, coffee & milo as part of your tour.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes, something that you’re happy to walk through the sand with – thongs are fine, just not your favourite high heels!
- Our Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience requires a beach boarding and unfortunately, there is no marina/jetty facilities available in Dunsborough for commercial operators. We are sorry to advise this does mean this tour is not wheelchair friendly (however, our Busselton Whale Watching Experience is.) Don’t be put off by the beach boarding, it adds to the experience and is still easy and comfortable enough for most people to do – we have a great set up! If you have any concerns or queries, just give our friendly office team a call.
Where to eat & drink in Dunsborough
Dunsborough has some amazing options for dining in, or out! We highly recommend checking out some of our favourite spots!
- Taz’s Bakery – Everyone in the south-west knows about this place! In the peak summer period you can often find long queues, but don’t let that put you off because we all know how good the pies, sandwiches and yummy cakes are. Definitely worth the wait! Taz’s bakery has the BEST Chips ever!!!!! We challenge you to find better elsewhere!
- Occy’s brewery – We love our mates at Occy’s! They are a great bunch that offer our customers 15% off lunch or dinner if you join us on a Dunsborough Whale Watching Experience! From their chilli burgers to their scrummy beef cheeks, you are sure to find something that will appeal to you.
- Burgertron – One of the newest burger joints in town with friendly faces, quick service and delicious burgers.
Must do local restaurants, both located in town on Cyrillean Way, Dunsborough and both just as amazing as each other.
Blue Manna Bistro for all your seafood delights and Yarri restaurant for that more intimate fine dining experience.
Other drinking places to go –
- Lady Lola located in between Blue Manna and Yarri for nibbles and a sneaky cocktail.
- Bungalow Social – name says it all, relaxed drinking.
- Har Bar dunsborough – located next to Dominio’s pizza – Dunsborough’s newest bar! A vintage, nautical experience showcasing local craft beer, wines and spirits in our ridiculous cocktails
Departure Point – The Professional Fishermans Boat Ramp, 306 Geographe Bay Road, Quindalup, Dunsborough
The Professional Fishermans Boat Ramp is located about a 5-minute drive from the Dunsborough town centre and is situated next to the Yacht Club. Free car parking is also available at the location. Please note that this involves beach boarding, so you will be collected from the beach and will board our tender vessel “Indi Maree”. We will then take you out to our larger vessel “Alison Maree” for the tour. There is a boarding ramp from the beach to the tender, so you don’t need to be concerned about getting wet feet. This is a comfortable and easy process.
Click on the “Book Now” button to join us for an experience to remember, or give our friendly team a call for more information. We look forward to seeing you.
Pro Fisherman’s Boat Ramp, Geographe Bay Road, Dunsborough (opposite McDermott St, Quindalup),
approximately five minutes drive from the Dunsborough town centre.